Located at the corner of Nash and Rhett Streets across from the Old Smithville Burying Ground, the Old Brunswick County Jail was built in 1904 for a low bid of $6,738. Since 1984, the structure has been maintained by the Southport Historical Society and has since undergone extensive renovations to restore this important piece of Southport history.
Previous jails were wooden structures which were destroyed by a hurricane and by fire. The Old Jail Museum is now a two-story brick building, which was completed in 1904. It consists of the living quarters for the jailor and his family as well as two cells and a runabout on the second floor. Each cell was designed with four bunks, a commode, and a wash basin. Everyone loves to have their picture taken behind bars in the Old Jail.